- Assistance needs for the rapidly increasing emergency situations require more judicious responses on the part of donors, including the provision of critical agricultural inputs such as seeds, fertilizers and farming implements for reconstruction and recovery of the agriculture sector.
The institutional framework governing food-related assistance has been at an impasse for ...read more
- Each year, countries in the Eastern and Central region of Africa experience the highest number of natural hazards and people-induced disasters in all of Africa. More and more people are adversely affected by natural hazards, such as droughts and floods, as well as crop and livestock diseases, civil conflicts, unstable ...read more
- About this guidance material Audience: This guidance material is intended for FAO staff, in particular FAO Representatives and Emergency Coordinators at country level. It may also be useful for FAO staff at regional and headquarters levels and other agriculture and food-security stakeholders.
Purpose: To provide FAO staff with (i) essential information ...read more
- Volume 3: Evaluation initiale de l’impact sur les moyens d’existence
Entre juin 2005 et juin 2006, 404 catastrophes liées aux risques naturels ont été enregistrées dans 115 pays, ayant causé la mort de plus de 93 000 personnes, affecté presque 157 millions de personnes et ayant engendré des pertes économiques d’une ...read more
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) made headlines worldwide in late 2003 and early 2004. The outbreaks killed countless birds, caused untold damage to poultry-based livelihoods and placed the health of human populations at risk. Additional outbreaks followed, and the disease spread across continents. Other transboundary animal diseases (TADs) have long ...read more
- Las zonas alto andinas de la sierra peruana, debido a su altitud y orografía están expuestas a factores climáticos extremos que determinan de forma precisa los ciclos agropecuarios y por tanto la seguridad alimentaria de sus habitantes rurales. En ocasiones estos fenómenos extremos interactúan entre sí creando situaciones climáticas críticas ...read more
- The vulnerability of the Caribbean region to hydro- meteorological hazards such as hurricanes, floods, drought, high magnitude rainfall and related hazards such landslides is underscored. The recurrent impacts of these events have wreaked havoc on environment, economy and society throughout the region. Over the past decade, the FAO has regular ...read more
- This guide to beneficiary results assessment was developed for all those implementing emergency agricultural projects to give them a necessary tool to monitor and conduct assessments on results of such projects.
The methodology presented in this guide is based on experiences of the work of the Food and Agriculture Organization of ...read more
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is appealing for USD 73 307 596 million under the 2008 Work Plan for the Sudan, which outlines the international community’s planned support to humanitarian, recovery and development programming. Given the importance of agriculture to the Sudan’s economy, FAO’s assistance ...read more