- Situation Update: Locust Crisis in Madagascar - 31 July 201531/07/2015
- South Sudan Crop Watch - July 2015 31/07/2015
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D15 - May 2015 (in FRENCH)29/07/2015
- Central African Republic - Situation update 29 July 201529/07/2015
- South Sudan - Situation update 22 July 201529/07/2015
Connect with us
Horn of Africa Update: April 2012
The situation in the drought and conflict affected areas of the Greater Horn of Africa has generally improved since the onset of the crisis in 2011. However, an estimated 9 million people are still in need of assistance in the region. While significant gains were made in the aftermath of the crisis, the outlook for the impending/ ongoing agricultural season paints a grim picture of what lies ahead with some areas already reporting poor harvests.
Recent climatic forecasts, anticipate that the March‐May rainy season in the eastern Horn of Africa will perform poorly. A special report by USAID Famine Early Warning System Network (FEWSNET, 3 April 2012) notes that rainfall is late, and will be poorly distributed over space and time and - at most ‐ reach 60‐85 percent of average. The region is still very highly dependent of rain fed agriculture and this could have dire consequences for the communities.