- FAO - Belgium humanitarian partnership (in FRENCH)05/12/2016
- Burundi - Situation report December 201602/12/2016
- Ethiopia - Situation report November 201630/11/2016
- Northeast Nigeria - Situation report October/November 201624/11/2016
- Haiti: Hurricane Matthew - Situation report 22 November 201622/11/2016
Connect with us
The Women of Kanem
FAO support food security in an effort to combat malnutrition in Chad
Kanem, a region in western Chad, has higher rates of chronic malnutrition than the rest of the country. Food insecurity, mainly affecting women and children, results from the low availability of food (low agricultural production owing to adverse weather conditions), decreased incomes that have limited access to food and mishandling of food.
FAO has been working with vulnerable populations in the region since 2010 to help reduce the prevalence of malnutrition. The poorest rural families that rely on agriculture have limited access to fertile irrigated land (in the "ouaddis"), and cannot cultivate vegetables that are essential for a nutritious diet.
To establish support for gardening activities, small irrigation projects and education on nutrition, FAO brought together landowners and farmers without access to irrigable land in the ouaddis.