Connect with us
Food Security & Nutrition Working Group Update, Central & Eastern Africa - June 2010
Aflatoxin Alert in Eastern Province, Kenya
According to the results of a recent survey carried out by the Government of Kenya Ministry of Agriculture approximately 78% of the current stocks of maize held by farmers in Eastern Province ( 3 million bags of maize of 90kg each ) are suspected to be contaminated with aflatoxin. The remaining 22% is considered to be of good quality and safe for human consumption. In upper Eastern, 15% of the stocks are of good quality, while 85% are considered contaminated. In lower Eastern, 40% of the stocks are of good quality, while 60% are considered contaminated. About 2 340 000 bags of maize need to be purchased from farmers by the government.