- Nepal earthquakes - Executive brief 27 May 201527/05/2015
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D08 - March 2015 (in FRENCH)26/05/2015
- Controlling fruit fly pest by releasing sterile male insects22/05/2015
- Situation de la transhumance et étude socioanthropologique des populations pastorales après la crise de 2013-2014 en République centrafricaine (in FRENCH)21/05/2015
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D07 - March 2015 (in FRENCH)20/05/2015
Connect with us
Georgia Fact Sheet - September 2009
The Food and Agricultural Organizations of the United Nations (FAO) responded rapidly to the August 2008 conflict, working with the Government of Georgia and international partners to conduct a comprehensive agricultural sector needs assessment and appeal for emergency agricultural support through the UN Consolidated Appeal Process.
The USAID provided a USD5.5 million (OSRO/GEO/802/USA) grant to the FAO for the emergency supply of animal feed in conflict affected areas of Shida Kartli, and in order establish an Emergency Rehabilitation Coordination Unit in Georgia.
To support the resumption of vegetable production, which was disrupted due to the loss of farming assets, damage to the 2008 summer harvest, and insufficient cash flow, the Government of Italy allocated EUR800 000 (OSRO/GEO/803/ITA) for emergency assistance to small-scale farmers for crop production in conflict affected areas.
Recently, the European Commission (EC) has funded the FAO with EUR1 million (OSRO/GEO/902/EC) for the restoration and improvement of agriculture based livelihoods and food security for Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) in newly established settlements and returnees in the Area Adjacent to South Ossetia (AASO).