- South Sudan - Situation report 20 July 201628/07/2016
- Monitoring food security in countries with conflict situations: A joint FAO/WFP update for the United Nations Security Council (July 2016)28/07/2016
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D06 - February 2016 (in FRENCH)26/07/2016
- Southern Africa - El Niño Response Plan 2016/1726/07/2016
- Livestock-related interventions during emergencies18/07/2016
Connect with us
Georgia Fact Sheet - September 2009
The Food and Agricultural Organizations of the United Nations (FAO) responded rapidly to the August 2008 conflict, working with the Government of Georgia and international partners to conduct a comprehensive agricultural sector needs assessment and appeal for emergency agricultural support through the UN Consolidated Appeal Process.
The USAID provided a USD5.5 million (OSRO/GEO/802/USA) grant to the FAO for the emergency supply of animal feed in conflict affected areas of Shida Kartli, and in order establish an Emergency Rehabilitation Coordination Unit in Georgia.
To support the resumption of vegetable production, which was disrupted due to the loss of farming assets, damage to the 2008 summer harvest, and insufficient cash flow, the Government of Italy allocated EUR800 000 (OSRO/GEO/803/ITA) for emergency assistance to small-scale farmers for crop production in conflict affected areas.
Recently, the European Commission (EC) has funded the FAO with EUR1 million (OSRO/GEO/902/EC) for the restoration and improvement of agriculture based livelihoods and food security for Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) in newly established settlements and returnees in the Area Adjacent to South Ossetia (AASO).