- FAO - Belgium humanitarian partnership (in FRENCH)05/12/2016
- Burundi - Situation report December 201602/12/2016
- Ethiopia - Situation report November 201630/11/2016
- Northeast Nigeria - Situation report October/November 201624/11/2016
- Haiti: Hurricane Matthew - Situation report 22 November 201622/11/2016
Connect with us
Drought Update in Rural West Bank 2009
Following the droughts in 2006 and 2008, the present shortfall in precipitation for this year is compounding the water shortage situation in the West Bank. This deepening crisis is exasperating the perilous position of many rural communities. Drought is now becoming a chronic event and the response needs to be comprehensive and focused on developing a sustainable solution.
The average yearly rainfall for the whole of the West Bank is 537mm; however the average rainfall for the West Bank up until 31 January 2009 is 152mm, more than half way through the rainy season. The overall rainfall for this year is likely to be considerably lower than the historical average. Learning from previous year’s experience, OCHA, FAO and UNICEF have compiled a Drought Response Strategy, a framework for the preparation and response to West Bank drought.