- Situation alimentaire et nutritionnelle au Sahel et en Afrique de l’Ouest (in FRENCH)29/03/2017
- Situation de la sécurité alimentaire et nutritionnelle au Sahel et en Afrique de l'Ouest (in FRENCH)29/03/2017
- Horn of Africa cross-border drought action plan 201728/03/2017
- Response to the locust plague in Madagascar: Final report for campaign No.3 (September 2015 – July 2016) (IN FRENCH)28/03/2017
- Famine response and prevention in Northeastern Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen27/03/2017
Connect with us
Regional Response to Food Insecurity in Eastern and Central Africa: Addressing HIV & Gender Inequities through Agriculture
The overwhelming majority of people living with HIV and dying of AIDS are the rural poor of developing countries, and among them women figure disproportionately. This is particularly true in Eastern and Central Africa where the cumulative impact of many years of political crises, conflicts and displacements have disrupted the livelihoods of local populations. Breaking the inter-generational transfer of indigenous knowledge and life skills, causing individual and social trauma, the loss of productive assets and triggering the destruction of already scarce rural infrastructures, the long-standing protracted humanitarian emergencies are further aggravated by the HIV epidemic.
Rapid interventions integrated into a long term development strategy are needed, for the combination of emergency and development approaches ensures that immediate life-threatening issues are addressed while working on sustainable solutions for the long term.