- Situation Update: Locust Crisis in Madagascar - 31 July 201531/07/2015
- South Sudan Crop Watch - July 2015 31/07/2015
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D15 - May 2015 (in FRENCH)29/07/2015
- Central African Republic - Situation update 29 July 201529/07/2015
- South Sudan - Situation update 22 July 201529/07/2015
Connect with us
Displaced but not passive: the story of Mr Abubaker Yahya
For several decades, Darfur has been the scene of disputes and competition between predominantly nomadic pastoralists and settled farming communities over land and dwindling natural resources. In 2003, the conflict escalated from small-scale disputes into a severe humanitarian crisis.
One night in September 2003, militias attacked Ardemi village in West Darfur, causing widespread destruction and death. Mr Abubaker Yahya was at home asleep with his family when the militias struck. Together with his family and surviving neighbours, he fled to nearby Agora village, which was larger and more secure. All of their livestock (donkeys, goats and sheep) were looted and they had with them only the personal belongings that they could carry.