- Northeastern Nigeria - Situation report January 201719/01/2017
- Improving Food Security and Nutrition in Protracted Crises. Background Note19/01/2017
- Ethiopia - Situation report January 201717/01/2017
- Somalia Rapid Results Drought Response Plan 2016/1716/01/2017
- Iraq - Situation report January 201712/01/2017
Connect with us
Zimbabwe: Egg Production Reviving Rural Economy
Zimbabwe’s economy is beginning to rebound after more than ten years of decline. With that, availability of and access to food is improving. Given that more than two-thirds of Zimbabweans make a living from agriculture, a healthy agriculture sector is essential to the country’s recovery. Finding innovative ways to unlock production potential, especially among the country’s more than 1.5 million smallholder farmers, is important. Most smallholder farmers, for example, keep poultry, but few engage in commercial egg production because of limited know-how and links to markets. Zimbabwe currently imports table eggs and exports day-old layer chicks. However, proper training in commercial egg production – from animal husbandry to health management to marketing – would be a boon to farmers’ incomes and nutrition.