- Famine response and prevention in Northeastern Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen28/04/2017
- Yemen - Situation report April 201720/04/2017
- Lake Chad Basin - Situation report April 201706/04/2017
- FAO China ECTAD Highlights, March 201705/04/2017
- SMS Gateway: Improving animal health through Information and Communication Technologies05/04/2017
Connect with us
Situation Update: The Sahel crisis 2012 - 22 April 2013
Tags: SAHEL, NIGERIA, NIGER, CAMEROON, CHAD, SENEGAL, WEST AFRICA, MALI, MAURITANIA, GAMBIA, CRISIS IN THE SAHEL, SITUATION REPORT,
- Despite good agricultural production in 2012 and good conditions for pastoralists, the situation in the Sahel remains critical mostly due to the impact of the 2012 crisis, as well as previous recent crises. Approximately 10.3 million people remain food insecure in 2013 and over 1.4 million children are at risk of severe acute malnutrition.
- Large population movements are reported as a consequence of the conflict in Mali. It is estimated that there are currently 292 648 internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Mali and 175 211 refugees in neighbouring countries, mainly Burkina Faso, Mauritania and the Niger.
- The risk of food insecurity is growing in northern Mali, where it is estimated that 585 000 people are food insecure and 1.2 million people are at risk of food insecurity.
- Based on current estimates, FAO is requesting a total of USD 135.3 million for 2013 in order to support almost 6 million people, including those affected by the Malian conflict, through livelihood interventions in the Sahel. So far, only USD 5.1 million has been received. Urgent support is needed to begin planting activities for the main agricultural campaign (May-October 2013).
- Aggravated by existing chronic vulnerabilities, the negative effects of the recent crises in 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012 remain. Vulnerable people have eroded their capacity to withstand external shocks and many continue to be heavily indebted and have been unable to restore their productive means. Time is of the essence for building resilience to strengthen the livelihoods of the most vulnerable people.