- Situation Update: Locust Crisis in Madagascar - 31 July 201531/07/2015
- South Sudan Crop Watch - July 2015 31/07/2015
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D15 - May 2015 (in FRENCH)29/07/2015
- Central African Republic - Situation update 29 July 201529/07/2015
- South Sudan - Situation update 22 July 201529/07/2015
Connect with us
Banana production systems at risk
Banana-based production systems in the Great Lakes Region are central to many livelihood systems, they are a staple food and contribute to national economies. Providing a rich source of vitamins and minerals and more than half of the daily calorie intake, they make an imperative contribution to food and nutrition security for millions of people.
Banana sales are often used to fund schooling and health expenditures and serve as a bank repository, enabling rural poor to contribute to social and community functions. Grown in association with other crops, they help to prevent soil erosion in fragile ecosystems while demanding less farm labour which is important for people living with HIV.