- “El Niño” event in Viet Nam: Agriculture, food security and livelihood need assessment in response to drought and salt water intrusion23/08/2016
- Madagascar – Locust Situation bulletin N. 27 – May 2016 (in FRENCH)23/08/2016
- Food for Peace success story: Confronting El Niño in Somalia22/08/2016
- Food security and humanitarian implications in West Africa and the Sahel - FAO/WFP Joint Note, June - July 2016 (in FRENCH)22/08/2016
- FAO response to the crisis in northeast Nigeria19/08/2016
Connect with us
Situation Update: Locust Crisis in Madagascar - 25 September 2013
During the past few weeks, prevailing southwesterly winds and vegetation drying-‐out favored the movement of swarms from the outbreak area (southwest of Madagascar) towards the western and northeastern parts of the invasion area.
More reports of swarms as well as damage to young plants of rice and maize were reported from Maintirano, Tsiroanomandidy, Soavinandriana and Faratsiho areas. In addition, some non-‐gregarious locust populations already matured, and egg-‐laying started in the central part of the outbreak area (Ranohira and Vavalovo).