- 2015–2016 El Niño - Early action and response for agriculture, food security and nutrition - UPDATE #505/02/2016
- Nepal earthquakes - Situation report 28 January 201628/01/2016
- Madagascar - Locust situation bulletin D33 - November 2015 (in FRENCH)26/01/2016
- Nepal Joint Assessment on Food Security, Livelihoods and Early Recovery – Final report21/01/2016
- Agriculture based livelihoods assessment of returnee households21/01/2016
Connect with us
Situation Update: The Sahel Crisis - 30 September 2013
Tags: SAHEL, NIGERIA, NIGER, CAMEROON, CHAD, SENEGAL, WESTERN AFRICA, MALI, MAURITANIA, GAMBIA, SITUATION UPDATE, CRISIS IN THE SAHEL,
- The lean season continues in the Sahel, and the poorest households are still facing difficulties accessing adequate food.
- Floods have caused crop losses and affected livelihoods in the Niger and Nigeria.
- With the USD 20.9 million received so far in 2013, FAO is assisting more than 1.7 million beneficiaries by supporting food and livestock production, and providing livelihood protection and technical assistance.
- Additional funding is urgently needed to support food production, particularly for cereals and vegetables during the upcoming off-season and floodplain recession agricultural campaigns from October 2013 to April 2014. This is an important opportunity to enhance vulnerable farmers’ production and income, mostly in the areas where the main season has not been successful. Funding is also urgently required for protection of animal health and livestock restocking.