- FAO - Belgium humanitarian partnership (in FRENCH)05/12/2016
- Burundi - Situation report December 201602/12/2016
- Ethiopia - Situation report November 201630/11/2016
- Northeast Nigeria - Situation report October/November 201624/11/2016
- Haiti: Hurricane Matthew - Situation report 22 November 201622/11/2016
Connect with us
Situation Update: The Sahel Crisis - 30 September 2013
Tags: SAHEL, NIGERIA, NIGER, CAMEROON, CHAD, SENEGAL, WESTERN AFRICA, MALI, MAURITANIA, GAMBIA, CRISIS IN THE SAHEL, SITUATION REPORT,
- The lean season continues in the Sahel, and the poorest households are still facing difficulties accessing adequate food.
- Floods have caused crop losses and affected livelihoods in the Niger and Nigeria.
- With the USD 20.9 million received so far in 2013, FAO is assisting more than 1.7 million beneficiaries by supporting food and livestock production, and providing livelihood protection and technical assistance.
- Additional funding is urgently needed to support food production, particularly for cereals and vegetables during the upcoming off-season and floodplain recession agricultural campaigns from October 2013 to April 2014. This is an important opportunity to enhance vulnerable farmers’ production and income, mostly in the areas where the main season has not been successful. Funding is also urgently required for protection of animal health and livestock restocking.