Connect with us
Food Security and humanitarian implications in West Africa and the Sahel - FAO/WFP Joint Note, November/December 2013
Tags: Crisis in the Sahel, Sahel, Western Africa, Central Africa, Burkina Faso, Chad, Cameroon, Gambia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, UN Rome-based food agencies, FAO-WFP,
- According to the Cadre Harmonisé results, 13 million people are food insecure (Burkina Faso, The Gambia, Niger, Senegal, Mauritania, Côte d’Ivoire and Chad) despite average harvests.
- 4.5 million children under the age of five suffer from acute malnutrition in West Africa.
- Localized pasture deficits may lead to an earlier pastoral lean season.
- Cereal prices are decreasing on markets but remain above their respective five year averages in Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and Chad.
- The locust situation remains threatening in Mauritania.