- Northeastern Nigeria - Situation report January 201719/01/2017
- Improving Food Security and Nutrition in Protracted Crises. Background Note19/01/2017
- Ethiopia - Situation report January 201717/01/2017
- Somalia Rapid Results Drought Response Plan 2016/1716/01/2017
- Iraq - Situation report January 201712/01/2017
Connect with us
Urgent action to support the resilience of vulnerable populations - Desert Locust threat in the Sahel-June 2012
Following unusual rains in late 2011 and early 2012, Desert Locust infestations were first reported in southwest Libya and in southeast Algeria in January 2012.
Despite insecurity along both sides of the border, more than 60 000 hectares have been treated by national teams, thanks to the support provided to Libya by FAO and the FAO Commission for Controlling the Desert Locust in the Western Region (CLCPRO). As ecological conditions dried out, locusts migrated south in the areas of recent rainfall in Niger and Mali from late May onwards.