- School art competition on Conservation Agriculture in Lesotho23/11/2015
- Training of new Market Information specialists in South Sudan19/11/2015
- Crucial assistance to vulnerable communities in Chibok19/11/2015
- Increasing rice harvest in Liberia16/11/2015
- Effects of El Niño in Papua New Guinea11/11/2015
Connect with us
Elas rehabilitation - Ethiopia
In Ethiopia FAO works to help the Borans to rehabilitate their wells, called Elas. They are specially prepared hand dug wells where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
The system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough.