- Enhancing women’s protection and addressing the risk of further environmental degradation in northeastern Nigeria20/04/2017
- Mobile veterinary clinics10/04/2017
- Fighting vulnerable farmers’ food insecurity in Haiti23/03/2017
- Supporting fisheries in Somalia16/03/2017
- Fisheries on the White Nile river in South Sudan27/02/2017
Connect with us
Elas rehabilitation - Ethiopia
In Ethiopia FAO works to help the Borans to rehabilitate their wells, called Elas. They are specially prepared hand dug wells where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
The system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough.