- FAO emergency rice seed distribution in Nepal nearly complete 01/06/2015
- Local seed sourcing and packaging in Nepal29/05/2015
- Damage assessment after the earthquakes in Nepal20/05/2015
- Garden schools in Bangui07/05/2015
- Locust control in Madagascar04/05/2015
Connect with us
Regional Cassava Initiative
Cultivated mainly on marginal lands by small-scale farmers, cassava is an inexpensive and essential part of the diet of vulnerable communities across Africa. Millions of people depend on the crop.
Two virus diseases threaten cassava production in Central and East Africa. With funding from the European Union, FAO’s Regional Emergency Office for East and Central Africa rolled out the Regional Cassava Initiative to support smallholders and prevent further spread of the diseases. Over 100 000 households benefited from the project, strengthening the livelihoods of 500 000 people.
Images are thanks to FAO East and Central Africa Office.