- Les agences de l’ONU procurent semences, outils et nourriture pour briser le cycle de la faim en République centrafricaineMay 2016
- Nouveau paradigme: Renforcer l'impact des interventions humanitaires lors des crises alimentairesMay 2016
- La radio en situations d’urgence et de catastropheFeb 2016
- Détérioration rapide de la sécurité alimentaire au YémenJan 2016
- La FAO présente son plan d'urgence de 50 millions de dollars pour l'EthiopieJan 2016
Disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration programme in South Sudan
The purpose of DDR: the disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration programme in South Sudan is one of the most important tasks after the civil war: finding a job for those who fought for its freedom. FAO, one of the key agencies implementing it since 2009, saw more than 1700 ex-combatants settled on farms in communities in Lakes and Central Equatoria states.
It’s been shown from experience in other post-conflict countries, that unskilled and unpaid ex-combatants, left to their own devices, pose a threat to peace. The DDR programme is an attempt to give them the training and means to earn a living in a more productive way. In South Sudan, the task has been enormous.
The next phase will be even more challenging – aiming to rehabilitate around 150-thousand soldiers. And as conflict on the border heats up and inter-tribal clashes in the country continue, it’s crucial that ex-combatants are helped to rejoin the community.