- Initiative "des intrants pour se protéger" en République centrafricaine06/06/2016
- Seeds distribution in South Sudan03/06/2016
- Emergency livelihood support for flood-affected communities in Myanmar25/05/2016
- Community farming project in South Sudan17/05/2016
- Livestock distribution in Myanmar03/05/2016
Backyard poultry in Syria
Thanks to funding from the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID), FAO is assisting 3 000 vulnerable households in Rural Damascus in Syria to restart or sustain their backyard poultry production. Each family is receiving 15 laying hens and 50 kg of poultry feed – sufficient for two months. Once the feed provided by FAO is finished, families will be able feed the hens following the local practices, through food scraps from the family.
This assistance is enabling families to produce eggs for home consumption and enhance their protein intake, while surplus production can be sold in the local market or bartered.