- Drones in disaster risk reduction efforts for the agriculture sector25/04/2016
- Potentially dangerous desert locust outbreak in Yemen12/04/2016
- Cash scheme rekindles hope in Somalia's drought-hit regions01/04/2016
- El Niño impact in Ethiopia and FAO destocking activity21/03/2016
- Escalation of food insecurity and malnutrition in Ethiopia07/03/2016
Haiti: Seeds of a Renaissance
Before the earthquake struck on January 12th 2010, farmers in Haiti had good reason to be optimistic. A 10.2 million dollar scheme, implemented by FAO and the Government of Haiti, and financed by IFAD, was coming to a successful end. Diversified activities across the country had boosted food production and increased farmers incomes across the country.
But now, support for the project is needed more than ever. An exodus of vulnerable people from the capital to rural areas is putting more pressure on family food baskets, and a food crisis is looming.