- A journey towards human security20/09/2016
- Resilience in Protracted Crises13/09/2016
- Building resilience through Needs Assessments in FAO Emergency operation31/08/2016
- Seasons of Hope: Countering an El Niño-induced drought in Ethiopia (Documentary)16/08/2016
- Forage production boosts the resilience of pastoralist communities in Ethiopia’s lowlands 25/07/2016
Building Resilience in Rural Communities in Southern Africa
This video shows some of the activities that FAO is implementing in the field to support rural communities in areas that are periodically affected by natural hazards in Southern Africa, mainly droughts, floods and cyclones. While these natural hazards will happen again in the future, and, as a result of climate change, we may expect to have more meteorological hazards in the future, there are many simple and effective things that can be done to increase the resilience of rural communities.
This video reviews some of the successful experiences that have been implemented in the field by FAO and its partners in several technical aspects that are key for an increased resilience of small farmers in agriculture and food security. Amongst these activities, this video highlights the importance of good practices such as adapted agronomic techniques, improved seed varieties, promotion of farmer's associations and small scale irrigation.