- Rebuilding fisher folk’s livelihoods during a complex emergency27/02/2017
- Nigeria hunger crisis deepens, spills over into Lake Chad Basin24/02/2017
- New drought risks in Ethiopia put recovery at stake17/01/2017
- EU and FAO team up to address alarming food insecurity in Yemen11/01/2017
- Iraq irrigation project:Demining and repair initiative restores key irrigation canals near Mosul23/12/2016
Interview with Mr Alexis Bonte, FAO Representative ad interim in the Central African Republic
Mr Alexis Bonte, FAO Representative ad interim, explains FAO’s assistance in CAR to ensure food security. Activities aim at resuming agricultural production through the distribution of seeds and tools to displaced rural communities affected by the 18-month conflict.
At the same time, the implementation of the ‘caisse de résilience’ programme will contribute to build their resilience. Similarly to the successful programme implemented in Uganda, this comprehensive approach is based on three pillars: social, technical and financial. The main objectives are in fact to ensure that women monitor the nutrition status of their children; enable famers to produce their own quality seeds; and implement cash transfers to boost saving and loans schemers.