- Drones in disaster risk reduction efforts for the agriculture sector25/04/2016
- Potentially dangerous desert locust outbreak in Yemen12/04/2016
- Cash scheme rekindles hope in Somalia's drought-hit regions01/04/2016
- El Niño impact in Ethiopia and FAO destocking activity21/03/2016
- Escalation of food insecurity and malnutrition in Ethiopia07/03/2016
Interview with Mr Alexis Bonte, FAO Representative ad interim in the Central African Republic
Mr Alexis Bonte, FAO Representative ad interim, explains FAO’s assistance in CAR to ensure food security. Activities aim at resuming agricultural production through the distribution of seeds and tools to displaced rural communities affected by the 18-month conflict.
At the same time, the implementation of the ‘caisse de résilience’ programme will contribute to build their resilience. Similarly to the successful programme implemented in Uganda, this comprehensive approach is based on three pillars: social, technical and financial. The main objectives are in fact to ensure that women monitor the nutrition status of their children; enable famers to produce their own quality seeds; and implement cash transfers to boost saving and loans schemers.