Strengthening capacity of National Plant Protection Organizations in the Implementation of ISPMs and Preventive Locust Management.
- TCP/GEO/3401: Support the development of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system for the control of fall webworm (Hyphantrea cunea) in Georgia
Technical assistance to the Ministry of Agriculture of Georgia in design of IPM system for the control of Hyphantrea cunea in Georgia. The project aims to assess the existing plant protection situation especially related to the control of Hyphantrea cunea) in the country, to provide capacity building workshops on IPM for the better control of fall webworm including good agriculture practice and diversification of crop production and to assist the Ministry of Agriculture of Georgia in the preparation of IPM program to control Hyphantrea cunea.
3 site visits in different regions of the country effected by Hyphantrea cunea;
3 Workshops organized during the implementation of the project. Objective of the first workshop was to present existing situation in the field of plant protection and discuss the effective ways to control Hyphantrea cunea. During the second workshop the draft for IPM Program to control Hyphantrea cunea and the draft TCP project document for IPM program for the most dangerous pests in the country were presented to the participants and discussed. The list of recommendations for immediate action were presented to the National Food Agency (NFA) and discussed. During the third workshop the staff of the NFA was trained for the implementation of the IPM Program to control Hyphantrea cunea.
the current situation in the field of plant protection in the country including assessment of capacities of the national institutions involved in plant protection;
analyzing available data on trends and changes in plant protection and the potential of the country in the improvement and use of new aproaches in plant protection;
identification of the means by which FAO can support the government in the development of IPM Program to control Hyphantrea cunea and other pests in the country;
formulation of IPM Program for the control of Hyphantrea cunea.
- TCP/ARM/3401 baby 2: Support to the Government of Armenia in strengthening the national phytosanitary capacity
The facility project will have the following objectives:
a) Clarify Armenia's plant protection policy (in the context of recent efforts to restructure); and in particular the roles and responsibilities of the various government institutions including the MOA as it relates to the phytosanitary system.
b) Assess the phytosanitary system using the IPPC PCE and prepare a medium term strategy for building national phytosanitary capacity.
c) Formulate a project proposal based on the results of the assessment and priorities identified in the national phytosanitary capacity assessment.
1. A comprehensive assessment of the phytosanitary system within the context of the IPPC
2. A 4-6 year national phytosanitary capacity building strategy
3. A technical report describing inter alia:
- Findings from the field mission outlining preferred options for further development during the resulting project.
- Overview of the structure of the phytosanitary control system including a clear description of roles and responsibilities of the various government agencies involved in the plant quarantine system.
- Identification of actions required to build the capacity of the plant inspection services both at central, internal and at the points of entry.
- Overview of recent, ongoing or planned capacity building programme directly or indirectly related to the phytosanitary area
- An overview of reference documents reviewed, people met and contacted, etc. in an annex
4. A draft project proposal in FAO format (including detailed work plan, budget and logical framework) unless advised otherwise by the FAO.