The FAO Regional programme Food Safety and Consumer Protection, in close coordination with Nutrition and Consumer Protection Division (AGN), is committed to the enhancement of food safety and quality along the food chain at regional and national levels, with the aim of protecting consumers, promoting the production and trade of safe, quality food and sustainable improvements in nutrition.
Activities within the programme are focused on the following areas:
- Providing guidance to governments for strengthening national food safety systems based on integrated food chain approach by improving institutional, policy and legal frameworks for food safety management;
- Assisting national authorities in strengthening food control systems by adoption and enforcement of standards and regulations in line with international norms, and particularly with Codex standards, guidelines, recommendations and scientific advice;
- Providing guidance and support for developing sustainable programmes of food hygiene management, good manufacturing practices and HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) for food enterprises in the Region;
- Raising awareness and building capacities to develop policies, strategies and voluntary standards for specific quality schemes in the Region;
- Strengthening capacities of institutional and social frameworks to improve nutrition;
- Providing technical support and assistance to countries in the formulation of national programmes and projects aiming at the improvement and promotion of sustainable diets;
- Promoting partnerships for the mobilization of resources.
FAO Capacity building activities in the Region are oriented to strengthening different aspects of food control systems:
- Food control management: Implementation of quality assurance programmes in agro-processing sector, training for food operators in GHP and HACCP system;
- Food legislation: Harmonization of food law, regulations and standards
- Food inspection: Building food inspection programmes and training for inspectors;
- Food control laboratories: Strengthening laboratory services, upgrading in sampling and food analysis methods;
- Capacity building for enhancing countries’ participation in Codex work.
Related Technical Cooperation Projects
- TCP/RER/3201 - Food Safety Capacity Building in Armenia and Geogia
- TCPF/MCD/3202 - Technical Assistance for Preparation of a Donor Conference in The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- TCP/AZE/3101 Food Safety Capacity Building for Azerbaijan
- TCP Facility “Assessment of GI potential and its realisation in support of Rural Development in Ukraine”
Food Safety and Consumer Protection Officer: Eleonora DUPOUY