The Species Identification and Data ProgrammeUntil recently this programme was known as SIDP (Species Identification and Data Programme).
Improve the identification of marine organisms of actual and potential interest to fisheries.
- Provide and disseminate tools to facilitate species identification in fisheries, and in so doing, improve fisheries data quality.
- Provide a global and coherent system of scientific and common nomenclature.
Priority is assigned to resources of major commercial importance or threatened and to developing regions facing difficulties in species identification.
- Secure the best up-to-date information calling upon knowledgeable specialists in taxonomy.
- Compile information on species distribution to produce distribution maps.
- Draw reliable and accurate illustrations of marine organisms and their anatomical details.
- Produce and distribute through different media, species identification information for fishery purposes.