MissionObjectives The main purpose of the organization is to meet Latin American food requirements adequately, making use of Latin American fishery resource potential for the benefit of Latin American peoples, by concerted action in promoting the constant development of the countries and the permanent strengthening of regional cooperation in this sector.
Its objectives are:
- to promote adequate utilization of fishery resources, preserving the marine and freshwater environment through the application of rational policies for the conservation of resources;
- to encourage and strengthen the Latin American cooperation in the development of the rational exploitation of sea and freshwater fishery resources, for the benefit of the peoples in the region;
- to increase substantially a food supply of sufficient nutritional value, the prices, preparation and presentation of which are in keeping with the needs of the low-income inhabitants of the region;
- to increase, in the same manner, consumption of marine and freshwater products in the region;
- to encourage, similarly, export diversification and expansion;
- to promote marketing systems to expand the regional exchange of products of the sector;
- to promote generation of jobs and improvement of incomes, through greater social and economic development of the communities related to the fish of the region;
- to improve and strengthen the productive, institutional, organizational and human resources capacity of the sector;
- to promote and organize utilization of the joint negotiating capacity of the Latin American region, as well as to determine, identify and channel international, technical and financial cooperation, through concrete regional coordination and cooperation within the scope of the sector.
Development, Research. In order to attain its objectives, OLDEPESCA carries out activities in the following areas of fisheries:
Area of competence
- in the area of research on fishery resources, it fosters joint actions for their rational utilization and adequate conservation;
- in the area of exploitation of fishery resources, industrialization and physical support infrastructure, it arranges for multilateral activities to be carried out for the exploitation of fishery resources of regional interest and for providing incentives for the industrializations of sea and freshwater products;
- in the area of aquaculture, it fosters and develops said activities aimed at expanding fishery production in marine and inland waters;
- in the area of technological development, it encourages production, adaptation, promotion and dissemination of technologies suitable to regional conditions in order to enhance production and at the same time preserve the marine environment and protect resources;
- in the marketing area, it establishes the mechanisms necessary for improving marketing conditions of Latin American fishery products and for making them more accessible to the regional consumer and more competitive in export markets;
- in the training area, it encourages specialization at all levels and stages of the fishery activity, with emphasis on artisanal fishing, according to national or multinational program requirements;
- in the area of international cooperation, it identifies and channels the international technical and financial cooperation required for complying with the objectives of the organization and implementing the specific projects.
OLDEPESCA area of competence - National waters, Inland waters Legal framework The Constitutional Agreement of the Latin American Organization for Fisheries Development - OLDEPESCA - was signed on 29 October, 1982, and entered into force on 2 November, 1984, date on which its first conference of ministers was also held.
The designations employed and the presentation of material in the map(s) are for illustration only and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of FAO concerning the legal or constitutional status of any country, territory or sea area, or concerning the delimitation of frontiers or boundaries.
http://www.oldepesca.com/convenio LanguagesEnglish, Spanish. Organizations involved
Member: Belize, Bolivia (Plurinat.State), Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Boliv Rep of Venezuela. StructurePrincipal body The Conference of Ministers is the highest authority of the OLDEPESCA and consists of the Ministers or Secretaries of State who are responsible for matters relating to the fishery sector. The Conference of Ministers holds one annual meeting and expresses its will through Resolutions. Steering Committee The Governing Board is the technical body of OLDEPESCA, and its main task is to make recommendations to the Conference of Ministers for the fastest development of the sector, taking into account the food requirements of the population, the needs of workers and entrepreneurs and the need to reach an adequate level of resource utilization. Secretariat The Executive Management Board is the technical and administrative body of OLDEPESCA and is headed by an Executive Director, whose main task is to carry out the policies of the OLDEPESCA. Activities and meetings Lists and information on meetings and events are available on the OLDEPESCA Web site : Publications Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org