The system provides users with access to fishery statistics of various sorts. Any data having time series structure can potentially be stored and processed by FishStatJ. The system consists of a main module and the datasets workspaces.
FishStatJ, a Java-based desktop application, is the new generation of the well known and widely used FishStat Plus software.
Table of Contents
How to download and install the FishStatJ software
- FishStatJ is currently packaged and distributed as a single deliverable, including both the application and the FAO global fishery and aquaculture datasets workspace. However, all available datasets workspaces, with Global and Regional statistics, are also distributed as separate packages (see below).
- FishStatJ is available as a zip archive for all the supported platforms: just unzip it on your local drive and run the executable file (for MAC users, just unzip the .app and drag it into your Applications folder). Specifically:
- In the Windows 32-bit environment, it may be extracted into any directory or subdirectory location. It is very important when extracting to maintain the zipped file structure (with all the required FishStatJ subdirectories)! There will not be any icons created on the desktop or elsewhere nor entries made within the Windows Programs menu structure so it is recommended that a 'shortcut' is created for the FishStatJ.exe file to facilitate execution of the program. In Windows, this is accomplished by selecting the FishStatJ.exe file and using a right-mouse click, selecting Create Shortcut. The shortcut that is created might then be placed on the desktop to allow quick execution of the FishStatJ executable.
- FishStatJ may also be downloaded as a zipped (.zip) file for the LINUX and Mac environments. As with Windows, the program may be extracted to any location and executed from there. Shortcuts for executing the program will depend on the operating system environment being utilized.
FishstatJ main module (Version 2.1.0):
How to download and import a new FishStatJ workspace
- Download among the workspace(s) listed below, those who are interested in into any directory.
- Start FishStatJ
- Invoke the Tools -> Import Workspace command
- In the Import Workspace dialog, change the current directory to where you have downloaded the workspace(s) and select it.
- Once selected a file in the wizard window, the runtime copy of FishStatJ performs a double-check in order to validate the file and the version of the workspace. If the selected file is valid (.fws), the application shows some metadata related to the selected FishStatJ workspace. Click Next to continue.
- If you had a previous version of the workspace that you are importing, you will be prompted to choose if overwrite the old one or keep both. Click Next to continue.
- Your workspace will be now effectively imported as soon as you click on Import Workspace button. Once completed, the Finish button will be active and you can conclude the installation by clicking on Finish.
- Open your new workspace by invoking Dataset -> Open Workspace.
FishStatJ available workspaces:
- Global Production by production source 1950-2011 (Release date: March 2013)
- Capture Production 1950-2011 (Release date: March 2013)
- Aquaculture Production (Quantities and values) 1950-2011 (Release date: March 2013)
- Fisheries Commodities Production and Trade 1976-2009 (Release date: March 2012)
- CECAF (Eastern Central Atlantic) capture production 1970-2011 (Release date: June 2013)
- GFCM (Mediterranean and Black Sea) capture production 1970-2010 (Release date: April 2013)
- RECOFI capture production 1986-2011 (Release date: April 2013)
- Southeast Atlantic Capture Production 1975-2011 (Release date: June 2013)
Download printable manual
- Download the manual in PDF format or view it on-line. You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print the manual. You can download it from Adobe.
FishStatJ key features
Likewise the former FishStat Plus, FishStatJ is a powerful yet simple to use tool offering two main set of features:
- statistical datasets browsing, data mining, charting and reporting
- filtering, grouping and aggregation through hierarchical dimensions
Operative systems, distributions and supported architectures
FishStatJ supports multiple platforms and multiple Operative Systems. An appropriate multi-platform development environment and workflow has been established and application versions are released according to the target platforms.
The following is the (minimal) set of supported platforms, other operating systems may be functional.
* Note: officially, FishStatJ is not supported on 64bit operating systems but will probably work in those environments.
Minimal HW requirements
- 2Gb of system memory (RAM)
- 160Mb of disk space, including the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and the FAO global datasets
- 1 GHz 32-bit(x86) processor