The FishStatJ application provides users with access to a variety of fishery statistical datasets. Any data having yearly time series and coded dimensions can potentially be stored and processed by FishStatJ. The system consists of a main application module and workspaces which include the datasets and can be loaded by the user.
FishStatJ, a Java-based desktop application, replaces the FishStat Plus software.
FishStatJ key features
- statistical datasets browsing, data mining, charting and reporting
- filtering, grouping and aggregation through hierarchical dimensions
How to install FishStatJ
- Download the FishStatJ application
- Download the workspace
- Open your workspace
1. Download the FishstatJ application (Version 3.00.1):
- Windows zip download
- Vista/Windows 7, 8 (32 or 64 bit are both supported)
- JRE (Java run-time) is included
To install on Windows, the ZIP-download must be extracted into a directory where the user has update permissions. We recommend to unzip the program to the C-disk (C:\FiShStatJ) or leave the unzipped folder on the Desktop. It is very important when extracting to maintain the zipped file structure (with all the required FishStatJ subdirectories)!
- Linux tar.gz download
For LINUX please refer to the release note included regarding the required XULrunner library.
- Mac OsX zip download
For Mac OSX and LINUX the program needs to be extracted to a location where the user has permissions to update files (we recommend the Desktop).
* Note: We have tested FishStatJ with the configurations above but will probably work in various environments (i.e. JRE 8).
For detailed installation instructions please refer the FishStatJ manual.
Minimum requirements for FishStatJ
- 2Gb of system memory (RAM); 4Gb recommended
- 500Mb of disk space, for the application FAO datasets, and JRE.
- 1 GHz x86 processor
2. Download workspaces including the datasets:
- Global Production by production source 1950-2014 (Release date: March 2016)
- Capture Production 1950-2014 (Release date: March 2016)
- Aquaculture Production (Quantities and values) 1950-2014 (Release date: March 2016)
- Fisheries Commodities Production and Trade 1976-2013 (Release date: March 2016)
- CECAF (Eastern Central Atlantic) capture production 1970-2014 (Release date: May 2016)
- GFCM (Mediterranean and Black Sea) capture production 1970-2014 (Release date: April 2016)
- RECOFI capture production 1986-2014 (Release date: June 2016)
- Southeast Atlantic Capture Production 1975-2014 (Release date: June 2016)
3. Open your workspace:
- Run the FishStatJ application
- Invoke the Dataset -> Import Workspace command
- In the Import Workspace dialog, change the current directory to where you have downloaded the workspace(s) and select it.
- Once selected a file in the wizard window, the runtime copy of FishStatJ performs a double-check in order to validate the file and the version of the workspace. If the selected file is valid (.fws), the application shows some metadata related to the selected FishStatJ workspace. Click Next to continue.
- If you had a previous version of the workspace that you are importing, you will be prompted to choose if overwrite the old one or keep both. Click Next to continue.
- Your workspace will be now effectively imported as soon as you click on Import Workspace button. Once completed, the Finish button will be active and you can conclude the installation by clicking on Finish.
- If you already had a workspace loaded before; quit and re-launch FishStatJ (in order to clear the application buffer)
- Open your new workspace by invoking Dataset -> Open Workspace.
FishStatJ help and assistance