Statistics - Introduction
The FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department provides advice and objective information to Members to help promote responsible aquaculture and fisheries. To fulfil this role, the Department compiles, analyses and disseminates fishery data, structured within data collections.
– The FAO Capture, Aquaculture and Global production databases have been updated with an additional year and now include data from 1950 to 2014.
– The FAO fishery commodities production and trade database has been updated with two additional years and now includes data from 1976 to 2013.
To ensure quality assurance, each collection is documented to highlight definitions and to specify the structure, sources, coverage, processes, intended use, etc. This is further complemented with the CWP Handbook of Fishery Statistical Standards which includes comprehensive definitions of concepts and details of standard classifications.
Global time series have been maintained over more than 60 years. To meet diverse user needs, data from each statistical collection are available through various formats, tools and information products.
How to access the data:
1) FishStatJ - Software for fishery statistical time series offers experts and scientists a stand-alone application for complex and sophisticated data exploration and extraction.
2) Online Query Panels enable advanced users to extract customized information and reports.
3) FAO Yearbook of Fishery and Aquaculture Statistics provide a full range of tables with detailed statistics.
List of all data collections
All data collections, also fully-documented, are organized by records, Fact Sheets and maps, thus complementing the overall statistical collections... full list of data collections