Fisheries monitored by VMS
Number of vessels monitored by VMS
- Total: 456 (each vessel participates in only one fishery)
- Alfonsino: 31
- Swordfish: 12
- Anchoveta: 113
- Cod: 22
- Sea bream: 47
- Squid: 7
- Shrimp: 25
- Cuttlefish (Jibia): 155
- Mackerel (Jurel): 143
- Prawns: 26
- Hake (merluza): 57
- Ray: 39
- Sardine: 65
Vessel size range (length in metres)
- Swordfish: 13 – 34.8
- Alfonsino: 28.3 – 66
- Anchoveta: 21.95 – 72.87
- Cod: 13 – 59
- Sea bream: 17.2 – 58.6
- Squid: 37.85 – 53.3
- Shrimp: 14.9 – 55.7
- Cuttlefish (Jibia): 14.79 – 66
- Mackerel (Jurel): 21.95 – 72.87
- Prawn: 14.9 – 55.7
- Hake (merluza): 14.9 – 58.6
- Ray: 14.79 – 55.7
- Sardine: 21.95 – 65.5
Purpose of VMS monitoring
- Protection of fishery resources by constantly verifying that vessels operate in authorized areas, and also monitoring of port entry and exit.
- VMS obligations and sanctions are found in the Laws and Regulations of the Republic: Supreme Decree No. 430 (1991, as amended), Law No. 19.521, Supreme Decree No. 123 (2004).
- Communications between vessel and ground station are funded by the vessel owners.
- Communications between the ground station and the fishery monitoring centres are funded by the Chilean government.
- The Chilean government funds operations of the fishery monitoring centres. Personnel include fishery managers and computer scientists.
Additional integrated programmes
- The VMS is also used by the Chilean Navy in the verification of exit and entry to port, vessel location, and for aids to navigation.
- The VMS information is also used in the management of resources, e.g. area closures.
- The system is also used to monitor all foreign vessels that wish to enter Chilean ports – this monitoring of foreign fishing vessels occurs both inside and outside the Chilean EEZ.
- To almost 500 vessels in the next five years. The VMS regulations are expected to be applied to all fishing vessels over 14 m in length.
Alejandro Covarrubias, Jefe Departamento de Fiscalización Pesquera
Servicio Nacional de Pesca
Av. Victoria 2832
Telephone: (+56) 32 819301
Fax: (+56) 32 819300
Web site: http://www.sernapesca.cl