Fisheries monitored by VMS
Number of vessels monitored by VMS
- Total: 68
- Trawlers: 64
- Gillnetters: 4
Vessel size range
- Trawlers: 15 - 73.8 m; Engine power 165 - 2 640 kW
- Gillnetters: 25.4 - 32.8 m; Engine power 132 - 221 kW
Purpose of monitoring
- Monitoring compliance with NAFO Conservation and Enforcement Measures and European Union requirements
- Communications: Encrypted Internet
- Control centre: Physical and electronic security measures, according to European requirements
- National legislation implemented from European legislation.
- Vessel owners/operators fund equipment purchase and installation. Estonian Fisheries Monitoring Centre funds operational costs which are, in turn, almost fully recovered from vessel operators through license fees and special funds.
- 1.5 full-time equivalent. Note: three (3) full-time personnel (VMS operator, assistant, database operator), each occupied approximately half-time with VMS.
Els Ulman-Kuuskman, Operator
Estonian Fisheries Monitoring Centre
Telephone: (+372) 6962218
Fax: (+372) 6962237