- The Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) are an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom. The Falkland Islands VMS programme is operated independently.
Fisheries monitored by VMS
- All Falkland Island fishing vessels
- Loligo squid fishery
Number of vessels monitored by VMS
Vessel size range (GRT)
Purpose of VMS monitoring
- Monitor location of Falkland Island fishing vessels worldwide
- Measure compliance with:
- Domestic restricted fishing areas
- Conservation measures and boundaries of Regional Fisheries Management Organizations
- Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries
- Dissostichus Catch Document Scheme and related trade measures
- Control centre: Physical and electronic measures
- Participation in the VMS programme is a condition of registration (for Falkland Islands vessels) or licensing (for foreign vessels).
- Vessel owner is responsible for shipboard equipment
- Government is responsible for FMC and polling costs
Additional integrated programmes
- The Falkland Islands are conducting research into using VMS data to supplement commercial catch and effort data in the Loligo squid fishery.
- If applied to all fisheries, the VMS programme could grow to 200 vessels (no immediate plans for expansion).
John Barton, Director of Fisheries
PO Box 598
Telephone: (+500) 27260
Fax: (+500) 27265
Web site: http://www.FIS.com/falklandfish