|Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food|
Fisheries monitored by VMS
- Longline (deep and surface)
- Purse seine (fresh and frozen)
- Pole and line
- Trawl (fresh and frozen)
Number of vessels monitored by VMS
- Vessels greater than 24 metres (m) total length: 1 400
- Vessels 18-24 m total length: 800
- Vessels 15-18 m total length: 500
Vessel size range (gross tonnes)
- Deep longline: 40-350
- Surface longline: 50-700
- Purse seine: 30-4 000
- Pole and line: 20-200
- Trawl: 50-1 000
- Gillnet: 20-270
Purpose of VMS monitoring
- Monitor compliance with European Union (EU), third countries, regional fisheries organizations and Spanish fisheries regulations around the world.
- Shipboard equipment: security seals and specific automatic messages to the FMC regarding illegal handling.
- Communications: option of encrypted messages.
- Control centre: physical and electronic security measures.
- National and EU VMS regulations
- Equipment purchase and installation is almost fully recovered through application to the Spanish administration.
- Communications costs are paid by vessel operators.
- 14. The Spanish FMC, manned by 14 people, operates with continuous coverage.
- The staff includes two fisheries inspectorate managers, one network manager, one information technology administrator, one VMS administrative assistant and nine FMC operators.
Juan Leston and Enrique Garrote, VMS Managers
Secretaría General de Pesca Maritima
Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
Telephone: (+34) 91-3471750 or 1907
Fax: (+34) 91-3471512
Web site: http://www.mapya.es/en/pesca/infopesca.htm