In November 1998, during its Fifty-third Session, the General Assembly of the United Nations urged "States, relevant international organizations and regional and sub-regional fisheries countries, to reduce bycatches, fish discards and post-harvest losses consistent with the international law and relevant international instruments, including the Code of Conduct For Responsible Fisheries " (Resolution A/RES/53/33).
The project falls under the following programmes of the Global Environmental Facility (GEF):
- Operational Program #9, Integrated land and water multiple focal area. This Operational Program helps groups of countries to utilise the full range of technical, economic, financial, regulatory and institutional measures needed to operationalize sustainable development strategies for international waters.
- Operational Program #2, Biodiversity in coastal and marine ecosystems, which includes elements of targeted research, information-sharing, training, institutional strengthening, demonstrations and outreach (or extension).
Within FAO's Fisheries Department, the project is the responsibility of the Fishing Operations and Technology Service (FIRO).
This project is part of the programme entity Reduction of Discards and Environmental Impact from Fisheries which:
- assesses environmental impact of fishing operations,
- promotes effective measures to reduce bycatch,
- provides guidelines and methodologies for increased bycatch utilisation,
- assists in the development of legal management frameworks, and
- provides assistance and monitors the International Plan of Action to reduce the Incidental Catch of Seabirds.
Acronyms and abbreviations
Below is a list of acronyms and abbreviations used in the project document and on this website:
||bycatch reduction device
||Fishery Committee for the Eastern Central Atlantic
||Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
||Global Environment Facility
||Juvenile and Trash Fish Excluder Device
||Regional Commission for Fisheries (in the Gulf sub-region)
||Regional Organization for the Protection of the Marine Environment (in the Gulf sub-region)
||Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center
||Turtle Excluder Device
||United Nations Environment Programme
||Western Central Atlantic Fisheries Commission