Ministère de la Production,de l'Environnement, de l'Energie, de l'Industrie et
Contact person name:
Physical full address:
Foumbouni B/E Grande Comore Union des Comores
+269 333 61 40
Four islands located in the Indian Ocean , at the northern entrance of the Mozambique Channel between Madagascar and the African continent
1. Comore Grande ( Njazidja )
2 . Anjouan ( Ndzuwani )
3 . Moheli ( Mwali )
4. Mayotte ( Maoré )
Of volcanic origin , the three islands have a total area of 1861 km ². The population is estimated at 753,943 inhabitants in 2011, a density of over 400 inhabitants / km ²
Tropical climate with two seasons : Kashkazi and Koussi
Structure for GM food safety assessment:
Contact details of the competent authority(s) responsible for the safety assessment and the product applicant:
GM food safety assessment guidelines:
Conduct of GM food safety assessment:
Supplemental information on the implementation:
Regulation of stacked events:
Supplemental information on the stacked events:
Agricultural country , also surrounded by a fishing mother several species including tuna and ceolacanthe .
The agribusiness sector which includes agriculture, fisheries, livestock is considered the engine of the Comorian economy. It generates about 49 % of GDP, 80 % of employment and about 90 % of export earnings .
The sector also provides a large proportion of products consumed locally although it covers only 60 % of food needs
The Comorian agriculture is characterized by the duality between " food crops " mainly for self-consumption and " cash crops " designed exclusively for sale.
Three export products. Vanilla , cloves, ylang Lang .
First World production of essential oils , such as ylang Lang used for the manufacture of perfumes good. But Comoros also produce coffee and pepper
Livestock Comoros represents 11% of the value added agribusiness
food and nutrition situation in the Comoros is very random .
The Ministry of Production , Environment , Energy , Industry and Handicrafts has established :
• A strategy for agricultural growth since 1994
• a strategy for fisheries development and a code of fisheries and aquaculture with the creation of a center for inspection of fishery products.
• A National Strategy for Food and Nutrition Security ( SNSAN ) developed in 2006
• On a national agricultural research institute , fisheries and environment , with prerogatifs of food control . It has 4 laboratories.
• I). Laboratory quality , ii) production laboratory in vitro, iii) plant pathology laboratories and entomology, iv) Veterinary Laboratory
• Deals with sanitary and phytosanitary problems with the adoption of a law on plant protection in 2006 and the Food Act 2013 , SPS issues , a law on metrology. he is responsible for the implementation of standards by creating a National Standards Board
The Ministry of Health has :
• A National Nutrition Policy and Food ( NANP ) 2013
• A law on breastmilk substitutes 2006
• A communication strategy related to food safety in 2014
Production and trade
GM food/feed production:
GM food/feed imports:
Supplemental information on the production and trade:
Supplemental information on the LLP/AP incidents:
Supplemental information on the Labelling requirement:
Relevant links to documents and information prepared by the competent authority responsible for the safety assessment