The Food Chain Crisis – Intelligence and Coordination Unit (FCC-ICU) ensures coordination within the various components of the FCC. It oversees risk analysis and intelligence, and long-term threat forecasting within the framework. The FCC-ICU is based in the office of the Assistant Director-General of the Agriculture and Consumer Protection Department.
Coordination activities include:
- advance coordination and collaboration among the constituents of the FCC
- design, negotiate and undertake steps for the strengthening of inter departmental cooperation in profiling and promoting FAO’s management to food chain crises
- support advocacy for prevention and early warning
- enhance opportunities of linkages, partnerships and complementarities
- contribute to the design of risk communication strategies along the food chain
Risk analysis and intelligence activities include:
- assess trends and threats to the food chain
- studies and research for targeted horizon
- information sharing through various networks and partnerships
- expert consultations on the assessment of emerging threats to the food chain
The FCC-ICU also acts as the Secretariat of the FCC coordination mechanisms.