Environmental applications of poplars and willows
Activities of the working party
The Working Party has the following overall aim:
To better share the knowledge and technology in implementation of cost effective environmental uses of poplar and willow to contribute to sustainable livelihoods and rural development
The activities of the Working Party can be grouped into two primary categories according broadly, to whether the remediation action is physical or chemical in nature. These groupings have been used to organise the information on this website and may be used to structure future meetings. A broad description of the following activities will be provided on this website at a future date.
Site and landscape improvement
Phytoremediation of polluted soil and water
Combating desertification and salinisation
Shelterbelts and windbreaks
Wastewater management/ treatment
Organic waste management
- To identify what work is being or has been done and where the gaps in knowledge are, which may be preventing/limiting operational exploitation.
- To promote the sharing of information to facilitate the rapid adoption of techniques or technologies for local and global environmental benefit.
- To transfer information across technical areas.
- To identify research needs.
- To publish implementation manuals.