International Poplar Commission
Report from 23rd Session
During the 23rd Session, the main achievements for the 2004-2008 period included:
- Conducted three technical, inter-Working Party meetings in Sweden and Estonia (May 2005), Northern Ireland (May 2006) and Canada (June 2007);
- Contributed to the Environmental Applications Chapter in the book “Poplars and Willows in the World”;
- Prepared promotional poster and leaflet in English, French, Spanish and Italian; and
- Upgraded and updated the Working Party portal on the IPC website.
The programme of action for the next four years included:
- Conduct two inter-Working Party meetings to consider topics not addressed in previous meetings, prior to the 24th Session of IPC:
- the first to coincide with IUFRO’s International Poplar Symposium meeting, Orvieto, Italy, September 2010;
- the second, venue and date to be confirmed;
- Reorganize and rationalize the Environmental Applications web portal including revision of case studies, directory of specialists and institutions by April 2009;
- Prepare information notes to introduce and explain “state-of-the-art” applications of Poplars and Willows in slope stabilization/erosion control and waste water management by September 2010; and
- Prepare information notes on two other topics (to be decided) before the 24th Session of the IPC in 2012.
Recommendations to the IPC Secretariat included:
- Retain the scope of the Working Party on Environmental Applications as is;
- Planned technical meetings should retain a strong field visit component, jointly with other Working Parties;
- Material on the Working Party web pages should be expanded with contributions from more participants with broader geographic coverage;
- Future emphasis should be on topics not already addressed; and
- Wastewater treatment and re-use technology using Poplars and Willows should be encouraged for their economic and environmental benefits.
last updated: Tuesday, October 16, 2012