Criteria and Indicators - for sustainable forest management
In its capacity of forestry task manager in follow-up action to UNCED, IPF, IFF and the United Nations Forum on Forests, FAO has supported regional criteria and indicators processes in a number of developing regions that did not earlier participate in the debate. These include: Dry-Zone Africa, the Near East, Central America and Dry Forest Asia C&I processes. The organization works in close collaboration with the Secretariats of the nine international or eco-regional processes, with individual countries and with partner institutions (CATIE, CIFOR, IUFRO, ITTO, UNEP) in order to facilitate country-driven work and help strengthening linkages between national and international levels.
FAO promotes the further development and use of C&I in different contexts:
©FAO/Joan Manuel Baliellas. Viet Nam - using laser technology devices that measure both tree height and thickness
Interactive map: Highlighting different uses of C&I for SFM and FAO's work
The interactive map below displays:
- Countries that use C&I in policy, planning and communication
- Countries that use C&I in promoting and facilitating sustainable practices
- Countries that use C&I in monitoring, assessment and reporting on sustainable forest management
- Expert interviews from FAO regional meetings
- Presentations of C&I for SFM
- Country case studies and regional workshop reports
Click on the arrow in the top left corner of the map to reveal and select check boxes to view the different options.