Centro de Agricultura Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE)
|Name:||Centro de Agricultura Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza|
|URL to homepage:||http://www.catie.ac.cr/|
CATIE is an institution of scientific and educational character. Its main objective is postgraduate training and research in the area of applied agriculture, ranching and renewable natural resources in tropical America.
- experimentation with methods of sustainable managing natural primary and secondary tropical forest
- silviculture of plantations of timber species, multi-purpose species and fuelwood production and alternative energy.
- genetic improvement and the collection, experimentation and distribution of forestry germplasm (seed)
- Watershed and Agroforestry solutions to stabilise shifting cultivators and/or to increase the profitability of small farms under sustainable development considerations.
- promote reduced use of chemical fertilisers, improving and conserving farm soils, diversifying farm production and finding cropping combinations that produce the greatest income for producers.
Relevance to forests by key words
agriculture, agroforestry, training, sustainable forest management, rural development, sylviculture, plantations, water fuel wood, research, capacity building. biodiversity, conservation, certification