Community-based forest enterprise development
Network of Enterprise Opportunities for Poor Families
PROJECT OBJECTIVES and DESCRIPTION: The Joint Program Network of Enterprise Opportunities for Poor Families, under the Thematic Window of "Development and Private Sector" of the Fondo ODM España in Panama has been recently approved.
This three year program aims to reduce the levels of poverty particularly in rural and indigenous areas, supporting the poor population to initiate new, sustainable micro enterprises with emphasis in the farming and tourism sectors, specifically in the provinces of Coclé, Veraguas, Herrera and Chiriquí, which display a high index of poverty and extreme poverty.
With human development and equitable distribution as the principal foundation, the program aim to cover the existing gap between the governmental program of conditional monetary transferences Network of Opportunities and the program Panama Impulse oriented on consolidating the already existing medium-sized companies.
PROJECT PARTNERS AND STAKEHOLDERS:
- UNDP, FAO, UNIDO, UNCTAD, and UNWTO; Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MICI), Ministry of Farming Development (MIDA), Ministry of Economy and Finanzas (MEF), Secretariat of Government Innovation (SIG), Tourism Authority of Panama (ATP), Authority of Small and Medium Businesses (AMPYME)
- Rural and indigenous communities in the provinces of Coclé, Veraguas, Herrera and Chiriquí
ACTIVITIES: Within this project, FAO will assist with achieving the identification of micro entrepreneurs and developing and initiating the implementation of pilot sustainable businesses (tourism and associated activities, agricultural and non agricultural activities), including by:
- Elaboration of the Plan of Work and socialization of this with relevant local actors
- Participatory evaluation of the existing situation in the selected communities
- Identification of products/ services, markets and means of commercialization
- Participatory planning of activities of sustainable enterprise development
- Promoting the execution of the projects and the implementation of support mechanisms for the micro entrepreneurs, with the objective of maximizing sustainability and profitability
To support micro entrepreneurs to be enabled in handling productive and business-associated technologies, FAO will also contribute to the development of a qualification program and provide precise technical assistance in agricultural and non-agricultural activities.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND OUTCOMES: Forthcoming.
RELATED LINKS AND DOCUMENTS: Forthcoming.