Overview - Vietnam
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) offers assistance to Viet Nam to develop its capacity in forest and tree resources assessment over a period of three years, starting from March 2011. The National Forest Assessment (NFA) project is part of a global programme entitled “Sustainable Forest Management in Changing Climate” launched by FAO. The project will be implemented within 3 years from March 2011 by Forest Inventory and Planning Institute (FIPI) with the supervision of Vietnam Administration of Forestry (VNFOREST) under Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD).
The project aims to enhance the capacity of the Viet Nam Forestry Administration and to introduce new and appropriate technologies. At the same time, it will help Viet Nam in reviewing forest inventory parameters against emerging national and international reporting requirements (incl. REDD+), harmonising and updating the information on forests and trees and reviewing the forestry policy in the light of results from the forest resources assessment. In addition, the project will contribute to meeting the country’s demand for sustainable forest management, as well as efforts to cope with adverse impacts of climate change and protecting biodiversity.
The main objective of NFA is to assist MARD/VNFOREST in the development of the National Forest Inventory and Monitoring Programme (NFIMAP) through following activities:
- Strengthen institutional capacity of Vietnam Administration of Forestry (VNFOREST), Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), focusing on Forest Inventory and Planning Institute (FIPI) and other implementing institutions;
- Harmonise and update the information on forests and trees and related use and users;
- Consolidate the monitoring system of the resources; and
- Provide information for the review the forestry sector policy in the light of the results from the forest resources assessment.
- Assessment of information needs, available existing NFA related information, requirements and definition of inventory objectives including the integration with the NFIMAP objectives;
- Assembling of available information to support the design of the inventory, planning of the field survey, including sampling design, preparation of field and mapping manuals, purchase of equipment and capacity building;
- Data collection through field survey and satellite image interpretation/analysis of digital imagery, gathering of reference material;
- Processing and analysis of the collected data and publication of findings.
- Establishing the Framework program on assessment and long-term monitoring of forest resources in Vietnam.
- Established broad consensus at the national level on the needs and approach to NFIMAP in Viet Nam by taking into account national users’ requirements and country’s obligations to reporting to international processes, including REDD+;
- Capacity of VNFOREST and FIPI strengthened to collect, analyse and disseminate information on forest resources, users and uses;
- Prepared bases to develop national forest and land use maps at levels and scales based on harmonised classification of forest and land uses and related definitions that serves also REDD+ monitoring and the development of the national Forest Management Information System (FOMIS);
- National assessment of the forest and trees outside forest resources made operational.
- Framework established for a long term monitoring of the forestry resources.
National Forest Assessment Documents
Methodology and Approach
Mapping Forests - The path to green growth: Vietnam NFA