International Poplar Commission
The "Populetum Mediterraneum"
The IPC was directly involved in the creation of the Populetum Mediterraneum as recommended by participants at the Eighth Session (Spain, 1955). The first plantations were made in the spring of 1956 on a farm of the ENCC Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Centre at Tivoli, Italy, near Rome. The plantings were continued in the following years and a collection of some 300 clones of several poplar species was assembled. In 1966, IPC sponsored the establishment of another populetum near Cologne, Germany, which gathered about 60 clones cultivated in Central and Western Europe. Another populetum for the Near East has been established near Ankara, Turkey
|Visit of the FAO officers at the beginning of the planting of the Populetum Mediterraneum. Rome 1965 – Experimental Farm, Cesurni.||Black poplars two years after planting at the Mediterranean Populetum, 25 kilometers from FAO Headquarters at Rome. This populetum was established by the Agriculture and Forest Experiment Center (Prof. A. de Philippis, Director) of the National Agency for Cellulose and Paper of Italy upon a recommendation of FAO's International Poplar Commission. It contains most of the poplar types cultivated in the member countries of FAO's Subcommission on Mediterranean Forestry Problems, as well as a large number of other cultivars of potential interest to those countries|