International Poplar Commission
Subcommittee on Nomenclature and Registration
Registration of Poplar and Willows clones
IPC is the only international authority that has been appointed by the International Society for Horticultural Sciences for the registration of the names of cultivars and clones of poplars (1958) and willows (2013). The Subcommittee acts as a registrar on behalf of IPC.
To appoint a registrar to the Subcommittee on Nomenclature and Registration of IPC, please send enquiries and applications to:
Prof. Julia KUZOVKINA (Chair)
University of Connecticut
Storrs-Mansfield, CT 06269
United States of America
Tel: (1-419) 5313693
Dr. Lorenzo VIETTO (Technical Secretary)
CRA, Unità di Ricerca per le Produzioni Legnose Fuori Foresta
Strada Frassineto 35
15033 Casale Monferrato (AL)
Tel: (39-0142) 330916
Fax: (39-0142) 55580
Tasks of the Subcommittee
- To compile and publish a checklist of all known epithets and commercial synonyms and to publish a comprehensive International Register of Populus Cultivars. The first edition of the International Register of Populus Cultivars was published in 1992 (Viart, M., Presentation du Catalogue international des cultivars de Peuplier. In A. Padró Ed., Proceedings 19th Session of the International Poplar Commission, Zaragoza, 22-25 June, 1992, p. 49-105).
- To produce a Registration form.
- To accept for registration, new cultivars appropriately named following the rules of the Cultivated Plant Code and appropriately described in the above form, filled in by the originator of the cultivar or with his/her consent.
- To update, and if necessary amend, the register and reissue it periodically.
- To publicize the registration facilities to the widest appropriate audience.
- To cooperate with statutory plant registration authorities regarding poplar epithets.