Registration of a cultivar name of Populus L.
Dehiscing capsule (seed with cottony coma) of Populus - Photo by L. Vietto
1. At a minimum, complete the “Registration Form for a Cultivar Name of Populus L.”. The Form can be downloaded, completed, saved and sent to Lorenzo Vietto (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Julia Kuzovkina (email@example.com).
The Registration Form is designed to provide all the information that the ICRA requires to ensure that a new cultivar name is properly established within the rules of the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (ICNCP).
Parts 1, 2, 3 are required for the registration of the name.
Part 4 is optional yet is useful to complete when no other description of the proposed cultivar exists. You can complete only selected questions you think are relevant and important to describe this new cultivar. Or you can send another morphological description (for example, a Technical Questionnaire completed with an application for the Community Plant Variety Rights or a US Patent description) as supplemental with this Registration Form.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open the Registration Form. If you do not have Acrobat Reader on your computer, click on the link to download a copy. https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
2. Whenever possible, prepare and attach electronic photographic images when submitting the “Registration Form for a Cultivar Name of Populus L.”. The images of the cultivar should show its overall habit, various organs including stems, buds, leaves, flowers, or roots, which are important characters for this cultivar. It is also useful to turn over a few leaves to demonstrate their underside surfaces. For close-up images, a ruler placed next to the specimen is recommended. Provide the details, including the author of the photograph, and when and where the photographs were taken.
3. It is highly recommended to prepare the Standard herbarium specimens to which the name of the cultivar is permanently attached, as well as Standard duplicates.
In summary, the cultivar name registration portfolio should include:
- The “Registration Form for a Cultivar Name of Populus L.” sent to the Registrar.
Any supplemental morphological description mentioned above can be sent to the Registrar with this Registration Form.
- A set of images along with the Image Copyright Form sent to the Registrar.
- A nomenclatural standard herbarium specimen sent to the Royal Horticultural Society Herbarium (Wisley, UK) and duplicates sent to other