10 years of NFP in practice
Considerable improvements have been accomplished with respect to :
- Sovereignty and country leadership.
- Partnership and participation of stakeholders in establishing platforms and forum.
These are important changes and important to maintain in the continued evolving process in particular strengthen the country ownership to better coordinate the numerous initiatives from donors.
However, more needs to be done to improve nfps implementation in terms of:
- Consistency within and integration beyond the forest sector.
- Coordination of, and cooperation with, new forest related initiatives.
- Participation of remote stakeholders, smallholders, communities and IP’s.
- Monitoring of the forest policy process.
- Understanding the NFP concept and terminology.
The NFP framework is relevant, but changes are both needed and demanded to improve its implementation.