FAO and WFP Corporate Strategies on Information Systems for Food Security
FAO and WFP are in the process of each developing a Corporate Strategy on Information Systems for Food and Nutrition Security and will also work together on a Joint Strategy. These activities are based on the recommendations of the “Joint Thematic Evaluation of FAO and WFP Support to Information Systems for Food Security (ISFS)” and FAO and WFP management responses.
The Strategies should respond to concerns raised in the evaluation related to the ability of FAO and WFP to sustain their leadership and build on the recognized positions and roles of each Organization. This includes providing global food security information products and services and support to strengthen countries’ own capacity in this area. Your thoughts and experience are critical in helping shape the direction for the strategies ensuring they are driven by needs and requests of stakeholders.
The online discussion forum has been set-up for the purpose of assisting FAO and WFP to assess changing needs and gaps in food security information products and services. Accordingly, we would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes to provide feedback on the thematic areas outlined below.
Many thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
Director, Statistics Division
Accountable Manager ISFS Corporate Strategy
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Please take a moment to review and reflect on the questions below and provide answers based on your work responsibilities and experiences. As this is not a questionnaire, but rather a discussion, you are welcome to decide which questions to focus on. If you prefer, you can respond in general. Also feel free to expand on any theme that may be particularly relevant to your work.
Demand for and use of food security information products
- What type of information do you need most to inform food security programming, emergency interventions and food security policy analysis and formulation?
- Which food security information products (eg. data and/or analytical reports) do you find most useful and where are information gaps in what is currently provided?
- What do you see as the specific role of i) FAO ii) WFP and iii) others in providing food security information products?
Capacity development in Information Systems for Food Security
- What are the main capacity gaps that should be addressed in your country/region or globally?
- What changes would you propose to current capacity development efforts?
- What do you see as the specific role of of i) FAO ii) WFP and iii) others in capacity development for information systems for food security?
Coordination of Information Systems for Food Security
- What do you see as the most useful ways to create synergies among stakeholders providing food security information products and/or services?
- What aspects of food security information work require better coordination at (sub-)national, regional and/or global levels?