Dear FAO Moderator
It gives me great pleasure to attach our contribution to the forum [copied below and attached]. All the best and lookng forward to attending the meeting in November 2014.
Dr. Nawal M. Al Hamad, MD, PhD
WHO Temporary Regional Nutrition Adviser, EMRO
Director, Food and Nutrition Administration,
Ministry of Health, Kuwait.
- Do you have any general comments on the draft political declaration and its vision (paragraphs 1-3 of the zero draft)?
The committee has touched on all forms of malnutrition from all angles; it exposed its weaknesses evaluating it with rational justification as well as reconfirmed the solutions on which it built its vision to end it.
- Do you have any comments on the background and analysis provided in the political declaration (paragraphs 4-20 of the zero draft)?
- Do you have any comments on the commitments proposed in the political declaration? In this connection, do you have any suggestions to contribute to a more technical elaboration to guide action and implementation on these commitments (paragraphs 21-23 of the zero draft)?
The commitments proposed in this zero draft is excellent. Although governments sign the declaration but political will is lacking because no commitment. UN and WHO cannot enforce this on governments ...that's the problem
Please provide your comments in the appropriate fields relating to these commitments:
21.Commitment I: aligning our food systems (systems for food production, storage and distribution)to people’s health needs;
Commitment II: making our food systems equitable, enabling all to access nutritious foods.
Commitment III: making our food systems provide safe and nutritious food in a sustainable and resilient way;
Commitment IV: ensuring that nutritious food is accessible, affordable and acceptable through the coherent implementation of public policies throughout food value chains.
Commitment V: establishing governments’ leadership for shaping food systems.
Commitment VI: encouraging contributions from all actors in society;
Commitment VII: implementing a framework through which our progress with achieving the targets and implementing these commitments can be monitored, and through which we will be held accountable.
22. Commit to launch a Decade of Action on Nutrition guided by a Framework for Action and to report biennially on its implementation to FAO, WHO and ECOSOC.
23. Commit to integrate the objectives and directions of the Ten Year Framework for Action into the post-2015 global development efforts.