Job vacancy: Food Security and Nutrition Policy Specialist
Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is a partnership programme between FAO and the European Union. FIRST supports countries in strengthening the enabling policy and institutional environment for food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture. The Programme also contributes to informing global strategic thinking on how to accelerate progress towards SDG2. FIRST is embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure. It contributes directly to the food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture policy and governance related results envisioned under FAO Strategic Objectives 1. ‘Help Eliminate Hunger, Food Insecurity and Malnutrition’ and 2.’Make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more productive and sustainable’.
FAO International Consultants and Call purpose
The Organization frequently engages experts to work on short-term activities and projects as international consultants or under personal service agreements (PSA) at various levels of experience (see minimum requirements below). International consultants or PSAs are engaged by the Organization to provide expertise, skills or knowledge for a specific task or piece of work, which is short-term by nature. The assignment may involve full-time or part-time functions, with duration ranging from 1 month up to 11 months. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and dependant on the availability of resources and needs of the Organization. Assignments can require travel or missions/appointment to field locations.
Individuals meeting or exceeding the requirements of the Call, determined through an interview process, will be included in the SP1 Divisional Roster. Experts who are registered in the Roster are available for consideration for a period of up to 48 months. SP1 Division will use this roster as the primary mechanism to resource future vacancies within the technical requirements covered by the Call.
The Consultant works under the direct supervision of the Deputy Strategic Programme Leader 1 and FIRST Manager (FAO/Rome).
Provide leadership, strategic guidance and technical support in demand of policy, governance, capacity development and facilitate policy dialogue around food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture.
Tasks and responsibilities
The required tasks and responsibilities will be focused around the following functions:
- Provide technical and policy advice and/or support to the Government and relevant stakeholders in the development and implementation of their policies and programmes and investments for improved food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture;
- Create and Manage strategic partnerships, promote best practices, and support policy dialogue to enhance policies and governance for food, nutrition security and sustainable agriculture;
- Plan, organize and participate in capacity development activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance, and oversee the development of related materials;
- Organize and lead in-depth assessments of the policy and institutional framework of food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture and identify areas for improvements;
- Lead and facilitate dialogue on knowledge sharing and partnerships in support of development/improvement of cross-sectorial policies/action plans concerning food security, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture;
- Analyse the effectiveness of policies and best practices and develop related knowledge products.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in domain related to food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture, social sciences, development economics or related area;
- Relevant experience at international level in policy analysis and advice related to food security, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture.
- Consultant level B: at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Consultant level A: at least 12 years of relevant experience (Experience requirement for PSA level A: at least 15 years of relevant experience)
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. (Language requirements for PSAs: Working knowledge of only English, French, or Spanish)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or relevant area of work;
- Extent and relevance of experience in: strengthening the enabling environment for food security and nutrition, providing policy advice, addressing cross-cutting issues in different sectors, and linking policy and data generation/analysis;
- Experience in working for UN entities is considered an asset;
- Experience in government advisory roles is considered and asset.