We welcome the current Draft of the Rome Declaration on Nutrition. We have a few suggestions for how it could be improved. These are intended to:
- make it clear that production methods need to be acceptable to consumers and take account of social and cultural aspects
- stress the importance of consumer choice over production methods
- give greater emphasis to food marketing not undermining efforts to protect and promote healthy diets
- require cross-cutting food policies
- include a way of monitoring progress
Furthermore, we call on the WHO to initiate work on a Framework Convention to promote and protect healthy diets.
[See specific comments in the attachment, Ed.]