Invitation to an open discussion on the ICN2 Framework for Action zero draft to implement the Rome Declaration on Nutrition
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO), in cooperation with IFAD, IFPRI, UNESCO, UNICEF, World Bank, WFP, WTO and the High Level Task Force on the Global Food Security Crisis (HLTF), are jointly organizing the Second International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2), a high-level inter-governmental conference at FAO Headquarters, Rome, from 19 to 21 November 2014. More information is available at: www.fao.org/ICN2 and www.who.int/mediacentre/events/meetings/2014/international-conference-nutrition/en/.
A Preparatory Technical Meeting was held in Rome, 13-15 November 2013 that drew upon a series of regional conferences and technical background papers and other relevant documents and analyses as well as from three online thematic discussions (Social protection to protect and promote nutrition; Nutrition-enhancing agriculture and food systems; and The contribution of the private sector and civil society to improve nutrition).
Taking into consideration of the outcomes of the Preparatory Technical Meeting and following the mandate received from FAO and WHO Governing Bodies, the Member States of FAO and WHO have been discussing and reviewing a draft Declaration and an accompanying Framework for Action (FFA) to guide its implementation.
To follow up on two rounds of online discussions on the draft Declaration held earlier this year, we would now like to receive your comments and inputs on the zero draft of the Framework for Action (FFA) available in the six UN languages. This open consultation will give you, as stakeholders, an opportunity to contribute to the Conference and to its outcome.
The comments received will be compiled by the Joint FAO/WHO ICN2 Secretariat and will be used to further revise the Framework for Action (FFA), ultimately helping to ensure the success of the Conference.
- Do you have any general comments on the draft Framework for Action?
- Do you have any comments on chapter 1-2?
- Do you have any comments on chapter 3 (3.1 Food systems, 3.2 Social Protection; 3.3 Health; 3.4 International trade and investment)?
- Do you have any comments on chapter 4-5?
- Does the Framework for Action adequately reflect the commitments of the Rome Declaration on Nutrition, and how could this be improved?
- Does the Framework for Action provide sufficient guidance to realize the commitments made?
- Are there any issues which are missing in the draft Framework for Action to ensure the effective implementation of the commitments and action to achieve the objectives of the ICN2 and its Declaration?
We thank you in advance for your interest, support and efforts, and for sharing your knowledge and experiences with us.
We look forward to your contributions.
Joint FAO/WHO ICN2 Secretariat